Audio Infuser 4700

"Not your grandpa's stereo"

Once I accumulated all the electrical components and got it all playing nicely  together, the real trick became to squeeze 'em all into a case together while keeping it to a manageable size.  I know I succeeded in the first half of that goal, but jury is still out on the second.  After carefully measuring each component and mocking up a rough layout in 3D, I sized out the wood that would be needed to house it all.  

live in Chicago, so I make-do only with what’s possible in a small urban apartment.  Hand saws, a jig saw, power drill,  hand plane, sand paper, and lots of measuring tools is how I get the work done on my kitchen table.  


I chose Red Oak to work with because of the fantastic grain and shades it offers for a reasonable quality-to-price ratio.  Looking back, I would have liked to use something thinner, but I suppose the solidity of the final product is worth the extra weight the Red Oak packs on.   When picking out the wood, I noticed a few boards had a really beautiful marble wave in the grain, which turned out to be perfect for the angular insets on the lid.


Staining wood is something i’ve always had a hard time with.  I find it difficult to control the shade you end up with, as you more or less  just have to accept whatever comes out of the can.  After numerous tests, I ended up going with a very natural look.  It's a Cherry stain by MinWax.


Cycle through the slideshow below to see some process shots of the wood case coming together. 

>> Continue on to read about The Faceplate

by Todd Kumpf   // //   //   @toddkay